ADSM-L

Re: AIX ADSM Monitoring...

1998-07-20 13:57:34
Subject: Re: AIX ADSM Monitoring...
From: Dwight Cook <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 12:57:34 -0500
     OK...
     #1, set up some junk ID such as public with a password of public give
     it no, zero, zilch authority and give it to everyone in your org. so
     if they have a question, they can connect and perform queries, that id
     can also be used as below...

IAMAT=$(/usr/bin/hostname)
echo "NOTIFY STARTED AS PROCESS $$ on $IAMAT at $(date) "
/usr/lpp/adsm/bin/dsmadmc -console -id=public -pass=public |&
echo "CONSOLE PROCESS STARTED AS PROCESS $! on $IAMAT at $(date) "
read -p LINEIN
READRC=$?
if [ $READRC -ne 0 ] ; then exit 1 ; fi
# while not eof look for catastrophic, disasterous, and plain errors
while [ $READRC -eq 0 ] ; do
        echo $LINEIN | grep AN.....[E,S] 1>/dev/null 2>&1
        if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then #if found, assemble full message
                LINEOUT=$LINEIN
                echo $LINEOUT | grep "[.]$" 1>/dev/null 2>&1
                GREPRC=$?
                while [ $GREPRC -ne 0 ] ; do
                        READRC=$?
                        if [ $READRC -ne 0 ] ; then break ; fi
                        LINEOUT=$LINEOUT$LINEIN
                        echo $LINEOUT | grep "[.]$"  1>/dev/null 2>&1
                        GREPRC=$?
                done
                echo $IAMAT $(date) $LINEOUT
        fi
        read -p LINEIN
        READRC=$?
done

Author:  heimdall (heimdall AT MAIL.UTEXAS DOT EDU) at unix,mime
Date:    7/20/98 9:09 AM

At 08:39 AM 7/20/98 , you wrote:
>On Fri, 17 Jul 1998, Joe Schilling wrote:
>> We are running ADSM Server on an AIX Server, we would like to have our Data
>> Center monitor events at night and weekends without giving them access to
>> ADSM.   We are wanting to cron a job to check the activity log to see any
>> errors that may occur and then send a message to them.
>>  Does anyone have anything like this already in place?  Thanks in advance
>> for your help.
>
>I start the adsm server with this, and then anyone can tail the log:
>
>/opt/IBMadsm-s/bin/dsmserv >> /var/adm/log/adsmserver.log 2>&1
>
>You could even have a program monitor the file, and send email or pages
>based on message ID's.

The problem that you run into with this method is that there aren't any
timestamps on the output.  The only clear way I know of getting this
information from the activity log with timestamps would be to query it once
an hour.

dsmadmc -id=id -password=passord -out q actl begint=-1 2>&1 >
/var/adm/log/adsmserver.`date +%H`

Something to that effect...
                                                                        -Daniel
                Daniel Whicker  (heimdall AT mail DOT org)