ADSM-L

ADSM thru Firewall

1998-07-16 14:19:20
Subject: ADSM thru Firewall
From: Michelle Duncan - NCS NSO <micki AT SYNOPSYS DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 11:19:20 -0700
I saw a recent post about ADSM thru a firewall and I saved
it, but its looking like I need a bit more info.

I am just starting to add clients outside of our firewall.

I have had the networking folks open port 1500 up bidirectional,
but they tell me that this route of traffic goes through a
Checkpoint Router (not sure if that makes any difference) and
they've opened up communication between the net that our server
sits on and the net of the machines outside the firewall.

In the dsm.opt file I specified my SErvername (ADSMserver, for example).
In the dsm.sys file I have:

SERVERname  ADSMserver
   COMMmethod         TCPip
   TCPPort            1500
   TCPServeraddress   ADSMserver
   TCPWindowsize      120
   TxnByteLimit       25600
   inclexcl           /etc/include_exclude
   schedlogname       /var/adm/adsmsched.log
   schedlogretention  2 D
   schedmode          prompted
   passwordaccess     generate

When I try and run the first incr from the client I get:

clientname# dsmc
ADSTAR Distributed Storage Manager
Command Line Backup Client Interface - Version 2, Release 1, Level 0.8
(C) Copyright IBM Corporation, 1990, 1997, All Rights Reserved.

dsmc> incr
ANS4039E An invalid TCP/IP host name was specified

Total number of objects inspected:        0
Total number of objects backed up:        0
Total number of objects updated:          0
Total number of objects rebound:          0
Total number of objects deleted:          0
Total number of objects failed:           0
Total number of bytes transferred:        0
Elapsed processing time:            0:00:00
dsmc>

What am I missing here?  I've even tried fully qualifying the server
name to ADSMserver.synopsys.com with no change in error message.

        -Michelle Duncan
         Synopsys, Inc
         micki AT synopsys DOT com