ADSM-L

Re: Private/Scratch library tapes

1998-07-16 10:05:31
Subject: Re: Private/Scratch library tapes
From: Dan Giles <Dan_Giles AT MANULIFE DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 10:05:31 -0400
Hi Phil.

With the information I have so far, this is the theory that I have. (Feel free
to disprove by example.)

Every now and then, one of the old returned tapes is not 101% empty, but perhaps
will have just a couple of files or a piece of a file. That is, it may show 0.0%
utilization, but is not empty. When you check them in as scratch, they get set
as scratch. (Relabelling is irrelevant, it is that you are following the same
procedure for both new and old tapes.)

When ADSM grabs this tape as a scratch tape, it checks the database and,
according to the database, there is data on this tape and it gets remarked as
private. Craig sent a note a couple of days ago asking if there were any "8778W
Scratch vol ... changed to Private Status to prevent re-access" messages in the
activity log. Did you check this?
Even if the volume is empty, you still may get this. When stg pool tapes are
returned and checked in, you need to update the status of that volume to
readonly or readwrite before ADSM returns the volume to scratch. After the
checkin, if you do a "q vol" on the returned volumes, do you get a reply other
than "no match found"? Thinking about it now, I would suspect that this is
probably the case. If it is, you can simply add an "upd vol vol_name acc=readon"
command after the checkin command. If it's not an old data volume, you'll just
get a "volume not defined in a storage pool" message.

I've had to develop smit and pearl scripts, and use a small database, to handle
the processing and return of off-site tapes (database and stg pool) and scratch
tapes. Returned database tapes and scratch tapes can be checked in as scratch.
Old tapes have to be checked in as private and then have their status reset from
offsite.

We are currently still on enhanced adsm 2.1.5.12 and using the acsls tape
library manager. New scratch tapes are automatically labelled when they get
checked in and adsm sees that there is no label on them. (So there is no need to
issue an actual label command.) I should certainly check that this will remain
the case with V3! You may also want to varify that your additional label command
is actually required, or set overwrite to "no" so that only brand new volumes
are labelled.

I hope I have at least come close to giving you some answers relavent to your
situation.