ADSM-L

Re: ADSM and Netware compression

1998-07-15 16:04:45
Subject: Re: ADSM and Netware compression
From: "Clendenny, Ronald D." <rdclendenny AT CAL.AMEREN DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 15:04:45 -0500
Chuck,

Code nwignorecomp yes in your dsm.opt file. (Netware Ignore
Compression).

<compressionsoapbox=on>

There are those that contend that you should not use client compression
on Netware servers because the data is already compressed.  However,
note that your 'changed' files, the one's you'll be backing up, are
likely NOT compressed yet by Netware (we delay 2 days before
compression), and, therefore, could benefit from ADSM client
compression.  Of course, there are those who are quick to point out that
tape compression will occur at the ADSM server and the data transfer is
slowed due to the client having to compress the data.  This is true.
And if you only had *one* ADSM client to backup you would have a loss of
throughput.  However, if you backup many ADSM clients simultaneously,
client compression reduces the network traffic (your most likely
bottleneck) and the amount of data that must go to tape/disk media,
thereby giving you a net *increase* in throughput.  It's one of those
issues that, at first glance, seems obvious.  But the more you think
about it, may not be so obvious.  It depends on your environment.

<compressionsoapbox=off>

Ron Clendenny
Callaway Nuclear Plant
Fulton, Missouri