ADSM-L

Re: Fw: 3590 Tunning

1998-07-12 00:18:26
Subject: Re: Fw: 3590 Tunning
From: Jennifer Davis <jedavis AT DFW DOT NET>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 1998 23:18:26 -0500
FYI -

I have seen instances where 22MG per second is achieved..... although this
is very rare (all of the below implemented and low system utilization).
Rich's quote of 6-7 MPS is realistic for most environments.

A few tips to enhance performance (as appropriate for your
environment)........

1) Use a Fast/Wide Adapter
2) Keep one 1 device to an adapter (no daisy chaining)
3) Use hardware compresssion ( as opposed to SW or no compression)
4) Use the appropriate block size/buffer size
   *Note: this is only applicable for NON-ADSM use of these devices. Why?
    Because ADSM already has this "built in" to the code as it accesses the
            device!
5) Use Faster Disks (these devices are faster than MOST disks can read)
6) Read data that is striped across an SSA Array

Always keep your microcode and device drivers current:

*Microcode can be obtained from 1-800-IBM-SERVE. Often, they will send it
to you with instructions for loading... other times they will come out and
do it for you.

Current Atape IS 4.1.7.0 available at ftp://208.222.234.135/devdrvr/AIX

*There are no SCSI parameters to change (especially with ADSM). The only
attributes that should be altered on the device characteristics are
COMPRESSION
or BLOCK SIZE (not needed for ADSM) or USE AUTOLOAD FEATURE AT END OF TAPE
(which should be NO for ADSM).

Be careful changing the COMPRESSION option midstream as you will have to
UPDATE DEVCLASS and change the FORMAT parameter. Also, once a tape has been
written to using one FORMAT, you can not write to it in a "new" FORMAT.
This includes even if only a label has been written (but no data).

Cheers -

Jennifer