ADSM-L

Oracle agent does not free tapes

1998-07-10 11:53:01
Subject: Oracle agent does not free tapes
From: Thiha Than <thiha AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 11:53:01 -0400
hi,
I assume that your dba was running obkcatutl job to delete the backups done by
the agent.

>we are using Adsm Connect agent for Oracle and we have the problem that our
>backup tapes on Adsm server are not freed. Our db-admin uses the obcatutl
>command, but it seems that some, but not all backup entries (select * from
>backups where file_space='/adsmorc') are marked inactive.

I think the reason that your tapes are not freeing up is because of your
management class.  The backup copy group of your management clas for the agent
requires "verdeleted" and "retonly" set to be '0'.  If you don't have these
values set, the backups on the tape will be changed to inactive only, not
deleted.

>Is there a chance to view which backups are still held for which databases?
>ADSM itself does not hold these informations, I think there must exist an
>oracle table providing this.

I think you can use:

    obkcatutl -db_name=adsm  -bfslist=current

to query the information you want.

regards,
Thiha