ADSM-L

adsm and novell encrypted password

1998-07-08 11:21:01
Subject: adsm and novell encrypted password
From: Cindy Cannam <CCannam AT GENAM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 10:21:01 -0500
To all:

Maybe I'm just not getting it on the Novell platform (but I've never
claimed to be a Novell guru), but given the following parms in a Novell
client's DSM.OPT file, why would the machine keep asking for a password to
be entered before starting an incremental backup (and thus wait until this
password is provided before starting anything)?

NODENAME CRPNHQTS
NWPWFILE YES

The documentation recommends NOT using the NWUSER parm for security
reasons, and states that the NWPWFILE parm is preferred not only because of
the encrypted file it creates, but because the "user" is no longer prompted
for the password after the 1st connection. Since ADSM is using scheduled
operations on the Novell platform, this is obviously the preferred method
for our environment. BBBUUUTTTT, the machine continues to ask for the
password (and, of course, the window for the backup comes and goes as a
result). Did I miss something? Does the client need to be bounced before
performing the LOAD DSMC SCHED (similar to the scheduler service on NT)?

Thanks much to all who answer!

C.L.Cannam
Storage Management
GENAM/St. Louis, MO/USA