ADSM-L

Excluding automounted filesystems from backup (AIX)

1998-07-03 08:25:30
Subject: Excluding automounted filesystems from backup (AIX)
From: Zvika Bar-Deroma <zvika AT AESERV.TECHNION.AC DOT IL>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 15:25:30 +0300
Hi,

On Fri, 19 Jun 1998, Automatic digest processor wrote:

> Date:    Thu, 18 Jun 1998 08:49:56 -0700
> From:    "Whitehead, Hilary" <HWhitehead AT CAISO DOT COM>
> Subject: Re: ADSM backing up the same data twice
>
> AIX handles automounts similarly but with the temporary mount point
> /tmp_mnt/home/fred for Fred's home file system that looks (to Fred) like
> /home/fred.  Since the /tmp_mnt/home/fred must exist for Fred to see his
> home directory, it makes sense that ADSM is backing up both, though is
> not productive in this case.  Probably no way around it until ADSM is
> scripted to handle the automount "staging area", unless you just exlude
> that directory.  Should be a one-liner in the opt file (exclude
> /home/.../*, or just exclude /home if your subdir option is set to yes).

I tried to circumvent the problem (which, as I understand is a "BAD"
Broken As Designed type of problem), by introducing an EXCLUDE.DIR
option in the client's DSM.SYS, but data was still backed up from the
client doing the automounting. I've tried:

EXCLUDE.DIR  /tmp_mnt , then
EXCLUDE.DIR /tmp_mnt/directory_names_of_misc_mounted_fs

and I think a few more variations, but all failed. I assume that I'm
doing something (syntatically ?) wrong, and would appreciate guidance.

Env.: Client: 3.1.0.3 for AIX (V. 4.2.1)
      Server: 3.1.1.3 for AIX (V. 4.2.1)

Regards,
/Zvika