ADSM-L

Re: RegRest

1998-07-02 12:11:15
Subject: Re: RegRest
From: Greg Heis <gsheis AT FEDEX DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 11:11:15 -0500
Hello all,

I still a little confused about this.  In my testing of registry restores,
using the ENTIRE option on the command line seemed to rebuild the registry
to a fully restored state.  Here is my test case:

NT 4.0 Server, SP3, NT installed on the C: by itself.  All applications,
save            the ADSM client utils, are installed on a separate
partition.
    MSOffice
    IE 4.0
        Multiple user accounts.
        Multiple printer mappings within each users profile.

    I manually deleted random keys within the registry and rebooted.  The
system did not start properly.  I rebooted to the NT startup disk as if I
were reinstalling the OS.  I used the repair process to rebuild the
registry.  Of course the registry was still incomplete because the I did not
use a repair disk.  When I rebooted and logged in as the Administrator, my
users were not available, printer mappings disappeared, etc.  I reinstalled
the ADSM client software then ran REGREST ENTIRE from the ADSM command
prompt.  Re-booted and everything seemed OK.