ADSM-L

Storage volumes.

1998-07-01 17:30:22
Subject: Storage volumes.
From: "Brown, Ed" <EXBrown AT SNOPUD DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 14:30:22 -0700
Hello,

*       We currently have an AIX Volume Group consisting 10x4GB drives.
*       On that Volume Group we have a 30GB filesystem that we use for
the ADSM disk storage pools.
*       We have created 24 500MB storage pool volumes.
*       We have 4 Backup storage pools and  each of them is made up of 6
500MB storage pool volumes.

There was not a lot of thought put into where the volumes were placed,
so they have ended up with odd percentages of each pool on a random
cross section of the disks. Using the AIX "fileplace" command I looked
at how each of the storage volumes were located per disk. The big
problem is that each of the storage pools have at least 50% of there
area on single disk. As a matter of fact, 3 of the 4 storage pools have
50% of there storage on the same disk. I was thinking that this might
cause a bottleneck if all of the backups were trying to write to the
same disk at the same time. I am looking for opinions on the two options
I am looking to even out the flow of data.

                1) Create a new 30GB stripped filesystem. If the
filesystem were stripped, that would ensure that the storage pool
volumes would be fairly even across the disks.

                2) Create a 1 to 1 ratio of Logical volumes to disks and
place a single filesystem on each of them. Then create the storage pool
volumes and make sure that each storage pool gets a single storage pool
volume from each of the disks.

ED.