ADSM-L

Re: Netware Retry Errors with NDS backup

1998-06-26 18:55:21
Subject: Re: Netware Retry Errors with NDS backup
From: Roger Nadler <Roger_Nadler AT SONYMUSIC DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 18:55:21 -0400
I do not understand why people try to backup the Novell NDS. The purpose of
running Intaware is for multi server enviornments where users log into a
tree. This gives them rights to resources. Novell creates master,
read/write and read only replicas of the NDS on each server. Inorder to do
a bare bones restore of a Novell OS you have to install the server in a
tree. This enables you to place a replica of the NDS back on the server.
NDS is a dynamic databse that is continually changing. This is the reason
it is replicated. I see no reason to backup with ADSM the NDS database. If
you some reason you keep all the servers from one tree in the same physical
location you can do a backup to floppy of the NDS. We are assuming that if
everything is in one loaction the NDS is probably very small