ADSM-L

Why can only root can use dsm?

1998-06-24 11:23:24
Subject: Why can only root can use dsm?
From: David Robson <David.Robson AT JET DOT UK>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 16:23:24 +0100
I am investigating using ADSM to backup Linux workstations to an MVS
mainframe.  We have been backing up RS/6000s this way for a couple
of years without a problem.

Although Linux does not have an ADSM client, we have found out that
other Managers of Linux Systems are using the SCO UNIX client combined
with the iBCS emulator.

It all seems to backup O.K., but only the superuser can use the dsm
and dsmc commands.  If another user tries, they get the following
message:

ANS4507E Trusted Communication Agent has terminated unexpectedly.

This (I think) is the dsmtcsa executable.  If I make the dsm or dsmc
program setuid, it seems to work, but strangely, it claims that it
"Cannot query Policy Set Information".  This is strange, because in
fact, it DOES allow me to do just that.

It looks like a permissions problem , but what file?

Any help appreciated.
David Robson