ADSM-L

Re: 3590 tape library not seeing drives

1998-06-23 11:59:33
Subject: Re: 3590 tape library not seeing drives
From: Dwight Cook <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 10:59:33 -0500
     Are you seeing any "library sequence check errors" ?

     Also you can do a "show libr" from a dsmadmc session... look for
     "online=1" which means all is ok... "online=0" is an indication you
     probably have an error displayed on the drive...

     do a "q stg pool_using_3590 f=d" and check the max scratch count and
     make sure you are not at that limit....

     ALSO, for each node's data in a diskpool there will only be a single
     migration process initiated... that is if your diskpool has 100 GB of
     data, all from the same node it doesn't matter how many mount points
     or migration processes you've set there will only be one!

     also from aix you can do a "lsdev -Cc tape" to get the "lmcp#"
     (ex lmcp0)
     then use the lmcp# in the "mtlib -l/dev/lmcp# ..." to find out misc
     stuff as to what the heck is going on... use "mtlib -?" to see the
     syntax of available commands and what relate to...

     hope this helps
     later,
           Dwight

Author:  CBRM (CBRM AT argushealth DOT com) at unix,mime
Date:    6/23/98 9:42 AM

Are all three drives available if you look on the library's console?
Query devc.  Make sure the mount limit for the device class is 3.
-Bob-
>>> "Campbell, Rose" <campbelr AT JNTF.OSD DOT MIL> 06/23/98 09:11AM >>>
>>> "Campbell, Rose" <campbelr AT JNTF.OSD DOT MIL> 06/23/98 09:11AM >>>
Hi all,

We are running ADSM v2 on AIX v4.1.4, attached to a 3590 tape library with 3
tape drives.  Lately we have been having a lot of problems with the library,
the latest is that it is only using 1 of the 3 tape drives.  Everything
appears to be correct, the number of mount points is 3 and the devices are
all defined.

Does anybody know why ADSM would only be using one of the drives instead of
all 3?

Rose M. Campbell
Data Storage Manager
Joint National Test Facility