ADSM-L

Re: Move and upgrade ADSM SERVER

1998-06-18 12:45:17
Subject: Re: Move and upgrade ADSM SERVER
From: "Whitehead, Hilary" <HWhitehead AT CAISO DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 09:45:17 -0700
We just did all this stuff exept the hardware change.  This is what we
did.  It may be more than you asked for, but use what you wish.  This is
the conservative method (at least I think), because you have a chance to
check all the big changes one by one.  As you know, isolating these
puppies when you make more than one big switch at a time is a bear.

1) Run a dsm format on new tape media and backup your ADSM Database
(backup db dev=<devclass> type=full).  Also backup your dsm.opt file,
dsm.sys file, volume history information, and ADSM Devices file (I
tossed mine on a floppy).

2) Stop your ADSM Server from dsmc using halt.

3) Yank the ADSM Devices (but not the AIX Devices that ADSM uses).  Use
smitty devices => ADSM Devices.  You don't have to pull your tape
library or tape drives.  They are used by ADSM but are not "ADSM
Devices".

4) Remove your version 2 software (/usr/sbin/installp -u adsmserv).

5) Install version 3 sofware via smit custom install.  This is a good
time to check and make sure you have the drivers for the new tape
library installed.

6) Define ADSM Devices (this is where you define your new tape library)
to the OS.

7) dsmserv upgradedb (from /usr/lpp/adsmserv/bin) to move your database
to a level ADSM Version 3 will understand and reinstall your licenses.
Your old ones won't work anymore.

8) Restart your server.

9) Change migration values on all local storage pool so that data will
move to non-disk storage pools.  I changed mine to highmig=1, lowmig=0
with the command: update stgpool <backuppool> highmig=1 lowmig=0 (for
each pool you need to migrate).

At this point, the migration of your data will probably take a while.
Use this time to poke around on your server some.  Try a minor backup
and restore from the client and make sure all your data looks good.  I
had the luxury of watching mine for a couple of weeks before I moved my
OS.  When you are confident (or as confident as you can be, given the
time you have), keep going . . .

10)  Run a dsm format on new tape media and backup your ADSM Database
(backup db dev=<devclass> type=full).  Also backup your dsm.opt file,
dsm.sys file, volume history information, and ADSM Devices file (again,
you db is at a new Rev now).

11) If you have volume groups other than rootvg, you'll have to vary
them off.  But first, if you have room on one and don't already have a
copy of your db on it, consider mirroring your database to this volume
group before you vary it off.  It won't be effected by the OS upgrade
and its extra protection for you.

12) MAKE A MKSYSB (and make sure it completes), note your block size,
density settings (if 8MM), and compression value (on or off).  Verify
that its good with lsmksysb.

13) Stop your ADSM server from dsmc using halt.  Comment out your ADSM
Server starting from inittab (if you have it there).  After your
upgrade, you server will be starting with the additional volume group
exported and if you have storage pools, db recovery logs on these vg,
ADSM won't like it.

14) Vary off your non-rootvg volume groups using varyoffvg <vgname> and
then export them using exportvg <vgname>, do an lsvg to make sure that
they are gone.

15) Insert the first CD of AIX 4.3 and do a shutdown -Fr on your system.
When it comes back, change your boot list to boot from CD, go through
your terminal and language selection, select your migration install,
etc.  Depending on what kind of devices you have defined, it may or may
not prompt you for the second CD.

16) When the box comes back, check your error log and mail and all that
neat stuff and make sure that you can see all your devices, file
systems, etc.  You will have to bring back your other vg by hand,
importvg <vgname>, varyonvg <vgname>.

17) Start your ADSM server (dsmserv) up.  Leave you it uncommented in
inittab because you're going to move this image to the new box and the
first time it comes up, it won't have additional vg's.

Beat on your server for a little while and make sure that its happy.

18) Verify that you have all drivers for the new hardware that you are
going to move to and install them if you don't.  Make a mksysb of your
new 4.3 root volume group.  Verify that its good with lsmksysb.

19) Backup your additional volume group (if you have one) with savevg.
Say goodnight and shutdown your old server, thank him for a job well
done.

FINALLY . . .

20) Move all your devices, recheck SCSI ID's to make sure nothing
conflicts with internal drives on new server hardware.

21) Power up, change your bootlist to point to the mksysb tape drive.
Go through your terminal, language selection, etc.  Be sure you select
New and Complete override and point it to whatever disks you want to be
rootvg.  Let it restore your rootvg.

22) Change tapes to savevg tape and restore your additional vg with
restvg.  Depending on how you used savevg, you may have to specify
disks.

23) Start up your ADSM Server (dsmserv) and uncomment your inittab file
(if you modified it).

You're ready to roll!!!  A couple of things to consider.  If you have to
change the hostname or IP address of your server, all your clients will
have to know about it.  Probably best to avoid it if you can.  Also, if
you have the option to physically relocate your disk drives to the new
harware, all you'll have to do after step 17 is make sure all the
drivers for the new box are there.

Happy ADSM'ing!!!

Hilary Whitehead
IBM Global Services