ADSM-L

Re: Exchange API error

1998-06-17 13:39:28
Subject: Re: Exchange API error
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 13:39:28 -0400
Hello,

The error you indicate can be the result of many different things.
The key here is that the Exchange Server is giving it back to the Exchange
Agent and for some reason, we can't find the message in the Exchange
backup API DLL (edbbcli.dll).  I am assuming French...Do you have the
French version of the Exchange server installed?  Regardless,
we can't find the French (or whatever language you are using) version
of the message to display, hence we put out "unknown Exchange API error."

Now, what could be causing this?  In most cases so far, it has been
a permissions problem that causes this, i.e. the backup is not being
run by the Exchange Site Services Account.

Some of the things that you should check for:

  1. Are you running the backup while logged in as the Exchange Site
     Services Account?
  2. Does the account that you are logged in under have Read AND Write
     permission to the Windows NT registry?
  3. Is this an ADSM scheduled backup?  If so, did you remember to change
     the "Log in As" setting under the NT Service Startup parameter
     for the ADSM Scheduler service to be the Exchange Site Service Account?
     (See Appendix C of the Installation and User's Guide.)
  4. Is this failing right away, or is it after a number of bytes have already
     transferred?
  5. Does it fail with both the command-line version and GUI version the same
way?

Del Hoobler
ADSM Agent Development
E-mail:   hoobler AT us.ibm DOT com