ADSM-L

ADSM Paradigm - A Question

2015-10-04 17:57:46
Subject: ADSM Paradigm - A Question
From: Shane Smith [SMTP:shanesmith AT WESTPAC.COM DOT AU]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
hi,

i read with interest the "ADSM Paradigm" question and answers. i am in
agreeance with most ppl and we
run incrementals.

however, our business has requested a desire for archiving. the business
would like monthly archives upt to
one year. then they wish to have yearly archives for a duration of 7
years.

we use a 3570-b2 unit and it is pretty full (only got 2 scratch tapes
free) and we have about 20 tapes offsite.
i am worried how to archive all this data. will someone have to feed
tapes into the machine each month, or
does adsm do it a different way. perhaps it would be better to stick a
cd-rom burner on the system and
archive to cd - is this possible.

or, do i use retention and other configurable paramaters to provide
adequate long-term storage. i need a solution
so when the business asks "hey, i need the xyz file from december97", i
can reply "no worries" and get it
back to them.

waiting eagerly for a reply
shane :)

--
There are only two ways of doing anything....
There are only two ways of doing anything....