ADSM-L

[no subject]

1998-06-12 07:14:35
From: Michael Hartmann <Michael_Hartmann AT TRINKAUS DOT DE>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 12:14:35 +0100
Peter and Doug,

This is a known problem.
OS/2 V3 clients (including the latest official OS/2
client V3.1.0.3) are not able to backup OS/2 Lan Servers
because of HPFS386 file system that is used to store
the ACL's. During a backup you get "access denied..."
errors. V3 clients can only backup HPFS filespaces
of non-LanServer OS/2 installations. Doug, I think this is
the difference compared to all of your other OS/2 nodes
There is an APAR for that problem (Nr. 20624) but
no PTF.
But now the good news....
There is a FIXTEST available via FTP:
ftp://ftp.cac.psu.edu/adsm/fixtest/v3r1/os2/ic20624j.exe

I have tested this fix, it works OK. But the IBM ADSM client
developper recommends not to place this fix into production,
because  there may appear another error under some
circumstances.

I think using SKIPLANSERVERACP=YES is no good option.
How do you backup/restore the ACL's? OK, there is the
BACKACC/RESTACC command to store/restore the ACL's
in/from a file that you can backup/restore
with ADSM. But using this command on a LanServer with
many GBytes is to much  time and CPU consuming. You cannot
do this every day. So it is definetly the task of ADSM to
backup/restore the ACL's

So all of us are waiting for the next client level...

Regards
Michael Hartmann
System development
Bankhaus Trinkaus & Burkhardt
Koenigsallee 21-23   40212 Duesseldorf     Germany
Phone: ++49+211 910 2364
E-Mail: michael_hartmann AT trinkaus DOT de