ADSM-L

Re: Roll Forward

1998-06-11 14:06:27
Subject: Re: Roll Forward
From: "Whitehead, Hilary" <HWhitehead AT CAISO DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 11:06:27 -0700
It is supposed to have priority over everything and this was the line I
got when I gave up and called into support the other night.  They asked
me for a bunch of info and then came back with some song and dance about
how it only works that way with tape drives.  I'm running opticals.
They had two suggestions.  1) Increase the size of my recovery log which
I can do, though I've been doing that for weeks and my recovery log will
soon be the size of my database (well, not soon, but soon enough) or 2)
Write scripts that poll for two active (drive requiring processes) when
I need a dbbackup and then stop one so the dbbackup can use a drive.

I asked for documentation to this effect because originally I was told
that this occurance showed that the product doesn't meet specs here.
I've worked in R & D and I find it difficult to believe that there is
one set of rules for tapes and another for optical drives.  Even so, I'm
going to make some noise about their modifying their specs if they do
address the devices differently.

Hilary Whitehead
IBM Global Services