ADSM-L

Re: V3 maintenance flash

1998-06-10 13:54:15
Subject: Re: V3 maintenance flash
From: Steven P Roder <tkssteve AT ACSU.BUFFALO DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 13:54:15 -0400
On Wed, 10 Jun 1998, Barry Fruchtman wrote:
> ADSM V3 Maintenance level Flash
>
> ADSM Development STRONGLY recommends that all ADSM V3 Server customers apply
> the latest maintenance, level 3.1.1.3.  This recommendation is applicable  to
> all V3 server platforms.   This level bundles all previous service updates and
> enhancements, and includes resolution to high impact  APARS.  The 3.1.1.3
> level
> is now considered to be the ADSM V3 Server base.  All future enhancements and
> updates will be built on this level.  For the latest ADSM V3 Server
> maintenance
> please go to http://www.storage.ibm.com/software/adsm/adsercli.htm

FYI, I had to back this service level off withing hours of applying it, as
a checkin of all the tapes in my 3575-L12 took an hour rather than 3-4
minutes, and mounts took 5-6 minutes, rather than 20 seconds.  I also had
it crash twice upon entering the checkin libvol command.  As far as I
know, Craig Bell found a section of code that was causing the delays, and
he is supposed to be getting back to me soon to test it, unless he can
test it in his lab.  I never did hear from Craig about the crashes, for
which I sent him the tracebacks.

I am running the Solaris server V3.1.1.2.  Perhaps the problems I saw do
not exists on other platforms.  And, perhaps the delay problem only
affects 3575's.

Steve (unVMix Systems Programmer/Dude) Roder
(tkssteve AT ubvm.cc.buffalo DOT edu | tkssteve AT acsu.buffalo DOT edu |
(716)645-3564 ,