ADSM-L

Re: Anyone else having server database contention problems?

1998-06-06 04:06:36
Subject: Re: Anyone else having server database contention problems?
From: Sheelagh Treweek <sheelagh.treweek AT COMPUTING-SERVICES.OXFORD.AC DOT UK>
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 1998 09:06:36 +0100
We have our database on RAID-5 :  we started off on 7137 SCSI but have
recently moved to SSA, with the enhanced adapter, fast write cache and
9GB drives.  In the early days I did a lot of performance analysis work
:  mirroring, striping etc and I have to say that on balance the RAID-5
performed the best.  Some operations were better on non-RAID and others
better with RAID.

When we moved from 7137 to SSA the time for DB FULL backup decreased
from 3.5 hours to 2.5 hours.  I haven't done any contention measurements
as indicated in recent messages on this topic.  DB is almost 50GB and
the volumes are 2GB each.  Platform is RS6000/R40 and AIX 4.2.1, ADSM
server 3.1.0.2.

STG POOLS don't seem to be behaving quite as well on RAID as on mirrored
volumes - but that's another story ;)

Regards, Sheelagh
-----
Sheelagh Treweek                         Email: Sheelagh Treweek
         Email: sheelagh.treweek AT oucs.ox.ac DOT uk
Oxford University Computing Services     Tel:   +44 (0)1865 273205
13 Banbury Road, Oxford, OX2 6NN, UK     Fax:   +44 (0)1865 273275
-----