ADSM-L

Re: Anyone else having server database contention problems?

1998-06-05 15:20:34
Subject: Re: Anyone else having server database contention problems?
From: Bill Quintrell <Bill_Quintrell AT PROVIDENTCOMPANIES DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 15:20:34 -0400
Bill Quintrell@PROVIDENT LIFE
06/05/98 03:20 PM
Re:
>>> I'm told that I  should spread my database over
>>> multiple physical disks.  Supposedly ADSM will
>>> perform parallel queries.  I'm willing to restructure
>>> my database if this will make a significant improvement
>>> but I can't seem to get confirmation.

I wonder if the possible "multiple database" benefit is not from
parallelism but actually due to the executing query only hitting a portion
(each physical instance) of the database and therefor having only that
portion "locked" at any one time?  Thus allowing other activity to continue
if it does not hit the database portion under siege by the query.  If we
only knew how it worked (or had a better relationship with ADSM
development), we could...
As is, any anomaly we discover and work around could be useless in the next
release.