ADSM-L

Re: Lost VCR DATA-3570/3575

1998-06-05 03:20:32
Subject: Re: Lost VCR DATA-3570/3575
From: Sheelagh Treweek <sheelagh.treweek AT COMPUTING-SERVICES.OXFORD.AC DOT UK>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 08:20:32 +0100
Lost VCRs occur when an action fails to finish and the tape isn't closed
properly :  the VCR is rewritten on a tape at dismount.  Sometimes this is
caused when there is a hardware fault on the drive.  Sometimes it is casused
when there is a I/O or media failure.  Sometimes it is caused by poor
microcode.  At Version 3 (and I think 2.1.5.18) ADSM detects and rewrites
lost VCRs at mount time (as Debbie says) and this saves the administrator a
lot of time.

As far as I know there is no fix in V3 to prevent lost VCRs, so maybe your
drives are just performing better, or you have microcode in the drives that
is behaving better.  We went through a long period with our 3590s, getting
too many lost VCRs for our liking, before we got the microcode fixed.

Regards, Sheelagh
Sheelagh Treweek                         Email: sheelagh.treweek AT oucs.ox.ac
DOT uk
Sheelagh Treweek                         Email: sheelagh.treweek AT oucs.ox.ac
DOT uk
Oxford University Computing Services     Tel:   +44 (0)1865 273205
13 Banbury Road, Oxford, OX2 6NN, UK     Fax:   +44 (0)1865 273275