ADSM-L

Re: Help on ANS4032E

1998-06-04 16:12:40
Subject: Re: Help on ANS4032E
From: Bill Colwell <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 16:12:40 -0400
In <9B5387FA0A26D111AA4000805FBE37F725CD5F AT exchange400.comp.pge DOT com>, on
06/04/98
   at 12:33 PM, "Mapes, Mark" <MWM4 AT PGE DOT COM> said:

>Hello,

>one of my clients got this error,

>ANS4032E Error processing 'c:\xxx\yyy.zzz': file is not compressed.

>The book states:

>ANS4032E Error processing 'filespace namepath-namefile-name': file is not
>compressed.
>Explanation: A file that was flagged as compressed was not compressed, and
>the system failed.
>System Action: Processing stopped.
>User Response: See your system administrator to report this problem. This
>error is a system failure.

>So the client comes to me and says "What gives?"  I said, "Get back to you
>real soon!"
>So, first question - is this dataset recoverable?  Need this answer ASAP.
>Next questions are (not necessary in any order):
>Will there be a next time?
>How can we be proactive about this?
>What did we do wrong?
>What can we do to fix/prevent this?

>Your thoughts and comments are always appreciated.

>Mark Mapes
>PG&E

I have seen this too, and on my own machine.  Talk about a serious problem!!
I called it in to IBM.  They are working on a fix. I have been promised a
testfix soon.  Sorry, but I forget the apar number.

I believe the nature of the fix is that the client will handle the mismatch
between the database info, which says the file is compressed, and the file
header which says it isn't, and the client will restore the file as
uncompressed.  No mention of how the mismatch was created.

Bill Colwell
Bill Colwell
C. S. Draper Lab
Cambridge, Ma.