ADSM-L

Re: adsm and dual NICs

1998-06-03 17:05:12
Subject: Re: adsm and dual NICs
From: "Purdon, James" <james_purdon AT MERCK DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 17:05:12 -0400
Hi,
  Assuming you are using TCP/IP, NIC selection in a "multi-homed" host
depends on what networks are associated with each NIC, and what gateway acts
as the default route.  In our environment, our ADSM server has multiple
NICs, as do certain of our clients. The clients pick the NIC to use by
specifying the ADSM server IP address for the network routed through that
particular NIC.

  So, certain clients (those with lots of data) have an ADSM configuration
that points to a machine called "adsm1f2" rather than the "adsm1f" that the
rest of the clients use. Both "adsm1f" and "adsm1f2" (as well as adsm1e) are
names for separate NICs on the same ADSM software.

  You might want to review information on TCP/IP routing for a more detailed
explanation.

Jim