ADSM-L

AIX 4.1.5/Informix 722.uc2

1998-06-02 17:45:05
Subject: AIX 4.1.5/Informix 722.uc2
From: "Hipolito Fierro, Jr" <polo AT NMCOURTS DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 15:45:05 -0600
Has anyone been successful configuring and testing the following backup
and restore?
AIX 4.1.5 and Informix 7.22.UC2

OVERVIEW:
I have ADSM up and running. It is backing up the files/file systems
okay. It appears to be backing up the database information.
We are using Informix's ONBAR utility to do the backup and
restore(trying).
We do not have transaction logging turned on.
We tried doing a full backup with (Appeared to work)
        onbar -b -L 0
We are using raw file space for the informix engine to reside and
dbspaces. Not file systems.
We are trying to use the restore with
       onbar -r

PROBLEM:
The restore process fails when I try to restore the database this way.
It looks like information is getting restored, but it fails at the end.
It looks like the onbar -r is trying either to start transaction logging
or restore the logs when it fails.

POSSIBLE SOLUTIOINS:
I have be told by an Informix person that we need to turn transaction
logging on or try doing an
        onbar -w ( A whole system backup)
The problem with the onbar -w is that I think it is also a serial
process which I don't want to do unless I have to. This would mean we
can use both tape drives at the same time.

Thanks for you help.
polo :-)

Server: IBM RS/6000 - R40 SMP
OS: AIX 4.1.5
Database: Informix 7.22.UC2
Tape Backup: IBM 7331 two 8mm tape drives
ADSM: Ver3 Rel. 1.10