ADSM-L

Re: How do you deal with...?

1998-05-21 15:04:35
Subject: Re: How do you deal with...?
From: Tom Bell <tom.bell AT WAII DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 14:04:35 -0500
> I'm wondering how large shops deal with the problem that when a filesystem
> is deleted from a client, ADSM will not expire backups of files in that
> filesystem.   I had expected that it should treat them just as deleted
> files, but when I found lots of old backups of files from deleted
> filesystems, the support center explained that the only way to destroy
> the backups was to delete the filespace in ADSM.   This seems like an
> administrative nightmare in a large shop with lots of clients.

We have an AIX server backing up AIX, IRIX, and Solaris clients.  We
have a mix of production and development users and we see fairly
frequent configuration changes.  Our solution to the problem is to run a
suite of daily cron jobs that perform the operations that we don't have
enough administrators to do manually.  One convention we established
that has helped is to put the Email address of the "responsible" party
for each client in the Contact field during node registration, allowing
our cron jobs to notify the responsible party (and CC the ADSM
administrators) when a problem or potential problem is detected.

Specifically addressing the situation you noted, we issue a "q node f=d"
to pick up the node names and contact field, then cycle through all the
nodes issuing a "q file <node> f=d" to pick up the filesystem name and
days since last backup completion.  Once the days since last backup
completion hits 3, we start generating Email.  At 120 days (if it
hasn't been dealt with manually before then), we issue "del file"
commands.

--
Tom Bell                                    tom.bell AT wg.waii DOT com
Tom Bell                                    tom.bell AT wg.waii DOT com