ADSM-L

Re: News Servers

1998-05-18 08:29:58
Subject: Re: News Servers
From: "Moir,Betsy" <betsy.moir AT ABBOTT DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 07:29:58 -0500
It gets my vote, too.

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU on 05/14/98 07:17:20 AM
Please respond to ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU @ INTERNET
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU @ INTERNET
cc:

--------------------------- > From: owner-adsm-l AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU at SMTP >
> Date:
5/13/98 3:13PM > To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO > *To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU at
SMTP >
Subject: News Servers >
--------

List members...... > > I am somewhat reluctant to bring this up, but since it
does potentially > effect me, I'll speak up, even though I may be in the
minority..... > > I would like to suggest that if possible, we not allow our
list to be > associated with a news server.  The reason I am proposing this is
that there > are many individuals out there that use the news servers as
sources
for their > "spam" lists.  They simply look for the addresses of the person
who
posts a > message to the news server, and adds them to the list.  The next
thing
you > know, you are receiving unwanted mail.  Since I use my corporate email
to >
access the ADSM-L List, I don't particularly want it to start being swamped >
with mail with a header of "Live Nudes" or some such junk associated with >
mail
coming through here. > > Don't get me wrong - I am far from a prude - but it
has
happened to me > already with a posting that I made to the MVS IBM-MAIN list
server, which is > sent to a news server. > > Does anyone else feel the same
way? > -------------------------> snip <----------------------------

This recommendation gets my vote!

I think we all know how annoying SPAM can be.  We might as well do what
we can to reduce its impact on our lives.
--
Mark Dyer
Mark Dyer

                     EDS North/West Region