ADSM-L

Re: ADSM V3.1 PTF IP21354

1998-05-12 19:23:12
Subject: Re: ADSM V3.1 PTF IP21354
From: James Riehl <jimbo AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 19:23:12 -0400
Al,
 In order to service and update the device drivers, they have to be
removed, rem_drv, which is done as part of the PTF install.  When reinstalling
the device drivers it is possible that they will create
links/device-special-files with different names from the original.  For this
reason the device drivers are not arbitrarily installed by the PTF, and the
following steps must be followed.

Use rm to remove the links/special-files originally created for the mt and lb,
tape and library, device drivers (i.e. rm /dev/rmt/1mt).
 Reinstall the devices drivers with the commands:
add_drv mt                /* for tape device driver */
add_drv lb                 /* for library device driver */
Verify that the same numbers were used to create the links/special-files as
with the original install.
for example:
dev/rmt/1mt -> ../../devices/sbus@6,0/QLGC,isp@1,10000/mt@4,0:mt,
depending on the device configuration activities, may have been created as,
dev/rmt/7mt -> ../../devices/sbus@6,0/QLGC,isp@1,10000/mt@4,0:mt.
4.   If they are different you can change the "device" attribute of both the
"library" and "drive" definitions with the respective                     "
"update" command.

Unfortunately this didn't get documented in the README for this ptf,  and is
not that clear in the service section of the "Quick Start"  I will see that PTF
README gets updated and that the documentation is improved.

Thanks...Jim Riehl
ADSM Sun Server Development

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU on 05/12/98 10:15:27 AM