ADSM-L

newbie Q: backup copygroup for log files?

2015-10-04 17:58:04
Subject: newbie Q: backup copygroup for log files?
From: Pat Wilson [SMTP:paw AT NORTHSTAR.DARTMOUTH DOT EDU]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
I can't quite figure this out:

Under my current (Unix) backup system, we're doing the normal monthly,
weekly, daily routine.  We've got lots of system logfiles, which rotate
nightly (log -> log.0, log.0 -> log.1, etc).  The scheme means that can
peruse all log files for a given week for the next 3 weeks, and I keep one
week's worth for a year.

I'd like to be able to do something like that with ADSM, but am not sure
what the backup copygroup should look like.  It seems to me that I'd be
saving 365 copies of log.N for each N, which seems rather excessive.

Is there a better way?  I suppose I could just save log.0 (assuming that
the backup was done after the logs rolled over each night)...

Thanks.

Pat Wilson
paw AT dartmouth DOT edu