ADSM-L

Re: 3575 Tape Capacity question

1998-05-11 18:31:42
Subject: Re: 3575 Tape Capacity question
From: Steven P Roder <tkssteve AT ACSU.BUFFALO DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 18:31:42 -0400
On Mon, 11 May 1998, Ian Blair wrote:
> We have a 3575 L12 with 120 slots.
> We are satisfied with the performance but not the capacity.
>
> We average 8.9G per tape or 1.8:1 compression.
> IBM tells us that that is low and 'others' average close to 15G.
>
> Our copy pools on DLT average 1.9:1 compression as advertised, so our
> data is not unusual.
>
> What is your average capacity?

We have an L12 also, with the 3570-B1A drives, and I am averaging 13.3GB
across 345 tapes.  This includes anout 10 tapes that have less than 5GB
due to various error conditions marking them Read-Only.  My 314 Full tapes
range from 7.6GB to 45.3GB, and I have a dozen tapes with more than 25GB.

Steve (unVMix Systems Programmer/Dude) Roder
(tkssteve AT ubvm.cc.buffalo DOT edu | tkssteve AT acsu.buffalo DOT edu |
(716)645-3564 ,