ADSM-L

Re: Configuring DLT Libraries with ADSM V3 on RS6K

1998-05-08 03:56:06
Subject: Re: Configuring DLT Libraries with ADSM V3 on RS6K
From: Stuart McIntyre <stuart AT DYADIC DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 08:56:06 +0100
Rob,

I may be leading you up the garden path here, but I hope not...

I had a similar problem when I started using ADSM, in that I thought that
any tape drive supported by AIX should use the Generic devclass, as is
suggested by the manuals.  Therefore when I got my IBM 7337 DLT library I
installed the Atape drivers as supplied and set up the Generic tape drive
etc.  I can't remember the exact errors I received, but I know they were
pretty similar to the ones you have been getting.

The way fixed my problems was to remove the Atape lpps, rmdev the smc0 and
rmt0 devices that are created when the AIX box reboots (or runs cfgmgr), go
to "smit adsm_devices", create a library (/dev/lb0) and drive (/dev/mt0),
and then define the devices to the ADSM server as an automated library, an
automated drive and use the DLT devclass.

All that was left to do after that is to ensure that when the box reboots
the smc0 and rmt0 devices are not recreated (this happens on my box - I set
up a script running from /etc/rc to sort this out) and to find the best
block size for the DLT drive you have (I use 131072).

Hope this helps and doesn't just confuse the issue.

Stuart