ADSM-L

Is ADSM/NT or ADSM/AIX a better choice?

1998-04-30 13:31:40
Subject: Is ADSM/NT or ADSM/AIX a better choice?
From: "Yelle, Michael 2-3823" <MGY4V AT HSCMAIL.MCC.VIRGINIA DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 13:31:40 -0400
We currently run ADSM on OS/390 to manage a number of Novell, NT and AIX
clients. We have tried for quite a while to obtain an acceptable level
of performance on OS/390 1.3 but to date we have not (OS/390 ADSM and
TCP/IP are single threaded and appear to be the bottle neck, plus OS/390
is really optimized for CICS regions, not ADSM). In particular we have
experienced 24+ hour restores on large Novell Super fileservers. We now
believe that a dedicated machine for ADSM is the way to achieve
consistent, high levels of performance.

We have done some benchmark tests on ADSM/NT and ADSM/AIX. Both
platforms appear to easily outperform OS/390 in all of the tests we have
done to date.

Does anyone know of performance benchmarks comparing NT to AIX for ADSM?

Does anyone have any objective reasons why we should prefer to NT or
AIX?

We are looking at either a Compaq 7000 for NT or RS/6000 H50 for AIX.
ATL  will probably be a IBM 3575  with the new "C" drives which are
rated at 7 Meg/Sec and have 1.6 terabytes of storage (uncompressed)  for
either machine.

We have the expertise in-house to support either operating system so
that is not an issue for us.