ADSM-L

NT Registry Prob

1998-04-28 10:02:06
Subject: NT Registry Prob
From: Scott Thompson <scott_t AT PHOENIXC.CO DOT UK>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 15:02:06 +0100
I have installed the latest NT client version onto a NT V4 server. The
ADSM server is sitting on a NT 3.51 box.

When i do an incremental backup of the client it all works fine, it
backs up the registry and the appropritate file systems with no
problems.

I am currently testing the restore procedure's. I am doing it the non
IBM way, that is i am not doing as recommeded in the Bare Metal Restore
Red Book. Basically, i am doing a fresh install of NT4 from the CD then
installing the client code.

The first stage of the restore is to restore the registry, now when i do
this with activation turned ON it comes back a say's "Registry restore
failed" "Failed to activate key".

The next stage is to restore the appropriate file systems which works
fine with the appropritate files excluded!

If i next do a reboot it comes up all working fine as it was before i
trashed it.

Does anyone have any idea's why it is failing to activate the key? And
why even when it fails to activate the key it still works?

You help would be much appreciated.