ADSM-L

dsmfmt under AIX

1998-04-24 23:35:43
Subject: dsmfmt under AIX
From: "Thomas A. La Porte" <tlaporte AT ANIM.DREAMWORKS DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 20:35:43 -0700
Platform: AIX 4.2.1, ADSM server, v3.1.0.2

I have created a file-system (large file-enabled) under AIX that
is roughly 8.5GB. I want to create four (4) 2GB database volumes
in this filesystem. So I issue the command:

judas 35# ./dsmfmt -g -db /redcross1/adsm/redcrossdbvol.01 2

Which immediately prompts the following output:

Actual allocation for /redcross1/adsm/redcrossdbvol.01 will be 2049 MB
Insufficient Space Available for file /redcross1/adsm/redcrossdbvol.01.

Interesting, given that the filesystem is 8640 MB.

Sooo, I try this:

judas 36# ./dsmfmt -m -db /redcross1/adsm/redcrossdbvol.01 2048

Which after a reasonable length of time, produces the following
output:

Actual allocation for /redcross1/adsm/redcrossdbvol.01 will be 2049 MB
Allocated space for /redcross1/adsm/redcrossdbvol.01: 2148532224 bytes

The question that comes to mind is, WHY? Presumably dsmfmt is
only doing some type of conversion when given the "-m" or "-g"
option, in order to produce a number (in bytes?) from the value
given. Certainly this is only a minor annoyance, given that it
does work when using -m. But why introduce the -g flag if it
doesn't work?

Has anybody else seen this behavior?

"It's a dog eat dog world,                Thomas A. La Porte
 and I'm wearing milkbone underwear."     DreamWorks SKG
              - Norm Peterson             <tlaporte AT anim.dreamworks DOT com>