ADSM-L

AIX 4.2.1 serv 3.1.0.2, NT 4.0 clnt 3.1.0.1

1998-04-24 14:15:09
Subject: AIX 4.2.1 serv 3.1.0.2, NT 4.0 clnt 3.1.0.1
From: J Holdren <jfh5 AT CAC.PSU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 14:15:09 -0400
Hi Folks,

Problems backing up network drives on NT client using the scheduler and
also a selection of users running the gui.  A user wants to backup
specific directories on a remote drive and they are either getting
'invalid drive specification' or a whole bunch of 'access denied'
messages.  They explained to me ( I'm NT illiterate, but the way things
are going I may have to learn fast) that the id used to install the sched
had admin privs and that the id that the service runs as maps the specific
drive they want backed up and has 'Backup', 'Restore' and 'Manage audit
and Secure logs' authority.

The dsm.opt includes a Domain statement for the specific network drive and
an include statements pointing to the specific directories they want.
Something like:

Domain z:

exclude *:\...\*.*
include z:\dir1\...\*.*
include z:\dir2\...\*.*

One other thing... Why does the backup give 'access denied' msgs for ALL
the directories on the z: drive even when they are excluded??

Any and all help/suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

  J. F. Holdren           (`          Unix Systems Group, Adv. Info. Tech.
  jfh5 AT psu DOT edu        PENN_)TATE      Center for Academic Computing
  (814) 865-2964                      University Park, PA  16802