ADSM-L

Windows NT 4.0 Memory Cache/Page Preferences

1998-04-24 07:25:57
Subject: Windows NT 4.0 Memory Cache/Page Preferences
From: Keith Medcalf <kmedcalf AT DESSUS DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 07:25:57 -0400
As I said a couple of months ago, you can adjust a setting in the registry
in NT 4.0 (and 3.51, though I have never changed the 3.51 setting for Memory
Usage).  This setting will toggle the preference for memory usage between
Disk Cache or Process (Working Set) Storage.

When you are running ADSM v2r1 on an NT 4.0 Server with only 64MB of RAM, it
tends to allocate to much memory to the disk cache and ends up swapping the
process code madly.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\
  Session Manager\Memory Management

Key:  LargeSystemCache

Values:  0   (Prefer DISK to PROCESS -- Default on Server)
         1   (Prefer PROCESS to DISK -- Default on Workstation)

If you have problems with inordinate amounts of swapping on an NT Server,
try changing the value of this key to 1 and reboot.

I apologize for the delay in posting this information.