ADSM-L

Re: Large ADSM Restores

1998-04-23 11:05:00
Subject: Re: Large ADSM Restores
From: "Schauerte, Andrew P (NM75)" <andrew.schauerte AT DAS.HONEYWELL DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 09:05:00 -0600
Hello ADSM'ers
We have had some major problems with restore performance with ADSM V2.  We
had just upgraded to V3 and we are starting a test restore today.  V3 of
ADSM skips the examining of files and directory structure, and starts the
restore process right away.  Our department was down for over 3 days
because we were waiting on a restore(26 GB on a SUN Enterprise 4000 client,
and RS/6000 F50 Server).  One of the problems we have is that we are
running 10 megabit Ethernet- that will change soon.  But the major delay
was the way ADSM was designed in V2- the number of files restored was
around 700,000.  At 80,000 files, the examining process went around 1000
files every few seconds.  After that, the examine process took
incrementally longer because of all the files it had to keep track of, and
at 120,000 files, it would take 30 minutes to examine 1000 files.  When I
say "examine", that does not mean it restored the files.  ADSM V2
"examines" files before the actual restore takes place.  We started to
restore files in smaller chunks in the directory structure which seemed to
go much faster.  V3 should solve this problem(so I am told).  We are also
considering connecting the ADSM server directly to the Clients(with its own
network HUB) to eliminate some time there as well.

                                Andy Schauerte
                                Honeywell Defense Avionics Division
                                Albuquerque NM
                                (505) 828-5383