ADSM-L

ADSM and HP Cluster

1998-04-21 23:14:37
Subject: ADSM and HP Cluster
From: Gary Johnson <GJOHNSO AT CLEAR.CO DOT NZ>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 15:14:37 +1200
Hi,
        I have a question regarding ADSM and HP Clusters, that I need
some help with....

Our implementation of ADSM is set to backup applications as they reside
on particular machines.  We want to know if ADSM will allow us to set
backup configuration for each application independent of the machine it
is running on.  We utilise a 'cluster' service that allows our
applications to switch between server's and currently if this occurs,
the backup configuration files need to be manually altered to enable the
backup to complete successfully.
The applications on our site are setup with DNS names and if ADSM allows
the use of IP mapping to resolve it's servernames, we believe that we
could potentially setup a configuration file for each application that
we wish to backup through ADSM.  This may pose some problems with
licensing though and we would appreciate some advise regarding how this
can be setup through ADSM (or if it is even feasible to set it up to run
this way).

We are currently running a Server (V2) on an OS/390 Mainframe, with Unix
Clients on each of the 3 HP boxes in the "Cluster".

Thank you in advance for any assistance or advice you may be able to
provide.

Gary Johnson
Operations Analyst  (Emergency Planning)
IT Operations,  Technology Operations
CLEAR Communications Ltd
12th floor,  49 Symonds Street, Auckland, 1001, New Zealand
* phone:  64-9-912-4200
     fax:      64-9-912-4454
* email:   gjohnso AT clear.co DOT nz