ADSM-L

Re: SQL Server Scheduled Dumps - Experiences?

1998-04-20 12:10:30
Subject: Re: SQL Server Scheduled Dumps - Experiences?
From: "Smith, Richard" <smithrr AT MARITZ DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 11:10:30 -0500
Bob,

        See answers below.

Rick Smith
Maritz, Inc.
Storage & Security Administration
smithrr AT maritz DOT com
(314) 827-1584

> ----------

        NO!!  I don't see why they need it.  They can view the Sched
logs, and that's annoying enough!!
> 2) Do you schedule SQL Server Dumps centrally, thru ADSM, or thru SQL
> Server tools?
      SQL DBA's use the SQL server tools to perform the dumps.
> a) If scheduled centrally, how can the actual schedule be disseminated
> or
> published to interested parties? Via the Web?
>
> 3) What errors, problems or quirks have you encountered? What were the
> workarounds?
        We only had to work out timing issues.  They basically told us
when the SQL dumps would run, then we back up.
> 4) Do you prefer ADSM to other backup software (like BackupExec from
> Seagate Software, ArcServe, etc.)? In addition to? Please supply pros
> &
> cons.
        I came into ADSM, and really haven't got much to compare with.
My company basically says ADSM is the way.  I am very happy with it
though.