ADSM-L

DLT IV Tapes and capacity problems for format 35c

1998-04-17 04:23:39
Subject: DLT IV Tapes and capacity problems for format 35c
From: Michael Garnebode <michael.garnebode AT WESTLB DOT DE>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 10:23:39 +0200
Hi,
Our configuration is a Enhanced ADSM with ACSLS 5.2.0 2xSTK9710 library
with 16 DLT7000.

We have buy DLT IV tapes for a year ago for DLT7000 drive switch to
DLT4000 drive.
All labeled volumes are works fine but we have changed the DLT4000
mode to DLT7000 after ADSM supported it.
We change the status of each volume written in 20c format.
Def new devc, Labeled , checkin , defined new volumes for the 35c
format.
The problem is many tapes have a capacity over 70 GB (100GB) and
when the tape is at the end the drive acsls or adsm can't read the EOT
and the volume crashed in the drive and we get the volumes manually
out of the library. EVERY DAY.
The STK or MTI support says yes you must format all 1200 volumes to
the new capacity. The DLT IV are standard formated for 20GB.
Is that the solution of our problem to format 1200 volumes ?

Have anybody any idea what problem we have ??

regards
michael garnebode