ADSM-L

Re: NFS filesystems not getting backed up

1998-04-16 14:15:53
Subject: Re: NFS filesystems not getting backed up
From: "Thomas A. La Porte" <tlaporte AT ANIM.DREAMWORKS DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 11:15:53 -0700
There are many cases when one would want to back up NFS file
spaces. I can immediately think of two that we have encountered:

1) In order to back up unsupported filesystems, such as a
   Veritas File System under Solaris 2.6; until the VXFS
   support is added in May, we can create a loopback NFS
   mount on the Solaris servers and back the filesystems
   (with no additional network latency).

2) In order to get files backed up by logical mountpoints
   instead of physical mountpoints using loopback NFS. Part
   of our load balancing strategy among our file servers
   includes moving data across different mount points on
   the same server, and to different servers all together.
   The logical file name does not change, nor does the
   data, yet doing backups via the physical file name will
   introduce a full backup. When you're moving 50GB of
   data per day, you don't want to see ADSM attempting to
   backup all of that data when it has a perfectly good
   copy of it already.

I'm sure other customers can think of other reasons to back up
NFS filesystems.

 -- Tom

"It's a dog eat dog world,                Thomas A. La Porte
 and I'm wearing milkbone underwear."     DreamWorks SKG
              - Norm Peterson             <tlaporte AT anim.dreamworks DOT com>