ADSM-L

3.1 server for MVS problems

1998-04-10 15:32:00
Subject: 3.1 server for MVS problems
From: Mike Stewart <STEWAJM AT AUDUCADM.DUC.AUBURN DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 14:32:00 -05
Server: OS/390 1.2 ADSM V3.1

I converted a few weeks ago, and shortly after the
conversion I posted a note indicating I'd seen no problems.
Just wanted to update that report.

I'm now seeing more and more problems with the V3.1 MVS server.
The problems include:

Abend0C4/80A's which knock the server down, client hangs which
require the server to be cycled, sql selects which
cause the server to stop responding to clients for
long periods of time (may be the cause of the 0C4's),
undocumented error messages, performance problems
where the server spins a processor and will not respond
to admin or backup clients for long periods of time (1-2 hours).

My server seems to be averaging going down about three times
a day.

I've had very limited success with the ODBC drivers, and I've
noticed incorrect output from SQL select (from the volumeuage table,
in particular).

ADSM support must be swamped with problems.  I've
opened 5 or 6 problems, so far none have
had any response even though they
have been open for as long as two weeks.