ADSM-L

Re: It's too easy !

1998-04-07 10:37:56
Subject: Re: It's too easy !
From: Bill Colwell <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 10:37:56 -0400
In <v04003a01b14aadf5c6ab@[9.113.21.234]>, on 04/03/98
   at 05:36 PM, Brett Walker <walkerbl AT VNET.IBM DOT COM> said:

>*** WARNING: Long Post ***

>Sigh.  Well, it looks like I need to wade into the fray.
>
> snip ...
>
>Solutions We're Implementing
>----------------------------
>There are a couple things we're doing to make this better to use 1) in PTF
>3, we've added the "Backup Domain" menu option.  We intended to have
>something like this in the original version, but it didn't make it. It
>provides the function that you really want - to backup the filesystem in
>the domain.  You may see this appear as a button in the Main Window (maybe
>"One-click Backup" or something) - but that is still in debate (any
>feedback on this is welcome and appreciated).

I will be rolling out V3 server and clients soon, certainly before another
client fix is available.  So whatever additional fixes are included will
have to be upward compatible with the 3.1.0.3 level now in the field.  I
plan to encourage using the scheduler even more that it is used now, so I am
not as concerned about the gui interface, but I am still concerned.

My feedback on what to do is this.  Don't change the main panel.   Clicking
backup should bring up a new panel inserted in the panel flow. This panel
would have 2 clickable spots, one labelled 'Normal backup' which will start
up a domain backup and show the backup progress panel. The 2nd click spot
would be labelled 'Special backup' which will go to the current backup
selection panel, which will be enhanced as IBM is already planning.

The new panel should have lots of text explaining the difference between the
2 types of backup.  Ideally there would be a field which can display text
supplied by the adsm administrator such as 'Please consult with the ADSM
Administrator at ext. 9999 before using the Special Backup function'.

Could the accounting records be changed to indicate the use of  normal
backup and special backup?

Finally, is archive being addressed?  The user can select too much in
archive as easily as in backup.
Bill Colwell
Bill Colwell
C. S. Draper Lab