ADSM-L

Re: ADSM error message

1998-04-07 10:34:50
Subject: Re: ADSM error message
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 10:34:50 -0400
We are ADSM 2.1.5.13 on AIX 4.2, with the STK 9710 running via Enhanced
Server.
I have seen both these errors before.  I do not have "official" answers for
them, but here is what I have learned from experience:

1) The 9710 is capabable of handling serveral types of media at once.  Our
9710's have 3490 and DLT7000 cartridges, for example.  When you check in a
tape to the 9710, ACSLS recognizes the media type from the optical label.
You can display via ACSLS commands what type of tape the robot believes it
is.

The error message you are getting says that when the 9710 went to mount the
requested cartridge, it decided the cartridge was a different type than it
should be, and was not appropriate to mount on the drive.

If you have multiple drive types in the 9710, this could be caused by
incorrect LIBRARY definitions, if you have made changes to them recently
.
Or, it could be an intermittent failure caused by a problem with the robot
camera, or a problem with the optical label on the outside of the cartridge.
I would try ejecting the tape from the robot, and putting it back again,
which should force the robot to update its inventory information about that
tape.
If the problem occurs again with the same tape, ask your STK CE to figure
out what is wrong with it.

2)  I have seen the lock situation before also.  It usually occurs when
there are two operations going on at once that require ADSM data base
updates, for example a RECLAIM and a MOVE DATA going on at the same time.
It appears to me that one process tries to lock some portion of the data
base, probably a page, and cannot obtain the lock, so it skips the file
operation that needs the lock and moves on to the next file.  I have never
had this cause any problem, except that in the case of a MOVE DATA, you will
probably end up with a few files not moved and have to restart the MOVE DATA
operation over again later.

Hope this helps - maybe someone else can give more exact explanations!

Wanda Prather
Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think."
              - Scott Adams/Dilbert