ADSM-L

dead locks with hsm 3.1 and aix 4.2.1

1998-04-04 12:15:26
Subject: dead locks with hsm 3.1 and aix 4.2.1
From: Pierre Verpeaux <pv AT SEMT1.SMTS.CEA DOT FR>
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 1998 19:15:26 +0200
We have dead locks when trying to use hsm 3.1 under aix 4.2.1 on a
J40 SMP (8 processors). All commands blocks.

When i look at the system in this state with crash (started before
the lock), it appears that two threads are mutually waiting on a lock
owned by the other. I think it is called a dead lock !

Here is the output from crash :
> lock
Major Locks:
  kernel_lock:         0x00195a1c: Available
  cs_lock:             0x00196158: Avalaible
Threads waiting on locks:
  TSLOT  WAITING ON  HELD BY  SYMBOL OF ADDRESS
            ADDRESS    TSLOT  (if found)
     34  0x0bb5c250       42  <???>
     36  0x0bb5c250       42  <???>
     42  0x0bd26e50       97  <???>
     51  0x0bb5c250       42  <???>
     89  0x0bb5c250       42  <???>
     91  0x0bb5c250       42  <???>
     97  0x0bd073f0       42  <.[kext:DATA]+1037f0>
     98  0x0bb5c250       42  <???>
    102  0x0bb5c250       42  <???>
    103  0x0bb5c250       42  <???>
    104  0x0bd26e50       97  <???>
    114  0x0bb5c250       42  <???>
    115  0x0bb5c250       42  <???>
    117  0x0bd26e50       97  <???>
    118  0x0bd26e50       97  <???>
> thread 42
EMP ST    TID      PID    CPUID  POLICY PRI CPU    EVMENT NOMPROC
OPT
 42 s    2a75     296c  unbound   other  3c   0           dsmmonitord
        t_flags:
> thread 97
EMP ST    TID      PID    CPUID  POLICY PRI CPU    EVMENT NOMPROC
OPT
 97 s    61c9     5738  unbound   other  3c   0           dsmreconcile
        t_flags:

So it seems that thread 42 (dsmmonitord) and thread 97 (dsmreconcile)
are engaged in a dead lock. The lock seems to be in kext, which is the
kernel extension loaded by hsm to manage the fsm.

Any solution ?

Pierre Verpeaux