ADSM-L

Re: NT server as file deposit for Macintosh users

2015-10-04 17:59:01
Subject: Re: NT server as file deposit for Macintosh users
From: owner-adsm-l (INTERNET.OWNERAD) at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 4/1/98 2:38PM
I have customers using this feature, and we are using the V3 client.  They
have reported no problems since we went to it.  They had problems with the V2
client in that it didn't support some of the special characters used in Mac
names.  For V3 there is a special Feature added to support the file names -
it is documented in baclient.txt I have included the following from the file:

****************************
4. Documentation  Updates  *
****************************
 Support for Macintosh files stored on an NT Advanced Server running
Services for Macintosh:

This feature is only supported on the single byte Win32 client
running on Windows NT and requires that the USEUNICODEFILENAMES option be
set.

The USEUNICODEFILENAMES causes the client to obtain filenames from the
Windows NT file system in Unicode.

This option is only available in the single byte client.

This option is set to ON by default in the US English client, and to OFF for
all other single byte languages.

Now, as I read this, the default on an NT machine is ON, which is what we
want here.  It does not require adding this statement to the DSM.OPT
file.

If I am incorrect, perhaps someone from IBM (Mike Dile perhaps) can
correct me.

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

______________________________ Forward Header
__________________________________
Author:  owner-adsm-l (INTERNET.OWNERAD) at SNADGATE
Date:    4/1/98 2:38 PM

Eliza,

You don't say which version of ADSM NT client you're running but it
sounds as though it might be V2.x.  That version does not support the NT
Services for Macintosh file structure and backs up/restores Macintosh
files stored on NT without the Macintosh resource fork information.  We
are currently using a Macintosh ADSM V2 client to perform that backup for
us.

My understanding that the ADSM NT V3 client does support the SFM file
structure, allowing correct Macintosh file backup/restore but I haven't
tried it yet and I haven't heard from anyone who has.

I'm interested myself in hearing that kind of feedback so if anyone else
out there has tested this, please speak up.

Dennis Schaffer
Mutual of Omaha

LAU AT VTCC1.CC.VT DOT EDU on 04/01/98 10:48:01 AM