ADSM-L

FW: Novell restoreproblems

1998-04-01 13:25:59
Subject: FW: Novell restoreproblems
From: "Kuhn, Steve" <AEGISLAN/AEGIS/KUHNS%Aegis AT MCIMAIL DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 13:25:59 -0500
We have seen drops from 2.x Gb/hr to 700 Mb/hr on a dedicated Token Ring,
but ours is on an AS/400 using TCP/IP.  Our problem was declared "system
wide" on the AS/400 by the Rochester TCP/IP people.

First, confirm w/ ADSM support that your communications settings in DSM.OPT
and on the ADSM server are max-ed out.  Then:

Try a protocol analzer trace, and see if the Novell box is constantly ACKing
with a large window size, followed by your ADSM server responding with a
fairly small transmission.  In our case, Novell sends several (2-4) packets
advertising a 25K - 32K window, and the AS/400 dribbles down 2K of restore
data.  These types of transactions cover far > than 95% of the traffic
during our restores.

Beware of your server's support using the trace data and focussing on an
occasional (2 - 5 times per hour)  transaction where the Novell machine
fails to respond for 1 - 3 seconds (reference PMR 94272)  We traced this to
the RAID arrays flushing, and found it perfectly acceptable.  Support wanted
us to open a call with Novell, to the exclusion of nailing down the reasons
for the AS/400 failing to send data.  When we repeatedly pointed out that 15
seconds per hour of Novell silence was insigificant compared to the AS/400's
failure to keep the Novell machine saturated with data, we got the "AS/400
system wide" diagnosis.

If you can get a handle on your traffic, and it fits the description I've
given above, I'd be most interested in hearing from you directly, since
you're running AIX.  It might not be AS/400 "system wide", and we want to
communicate that back to our contacts.

Steve Kuhn, Network Manager
AEGIS Insurance Services, Inc.
Jersey City, NJ  07302