ADSM-L

Questions about Database backups.

1998-04-01 00:21:15
Subject: Questions about Database backups.
From: John Schneider <jdschn AT IBM DOT NET>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 23:21:15 -0600
Greetings,
        Like most shops, my customers have an administrative
schedule which backs up their database.  It does a full weekly
and an incremental daily.  These go to scratch tapes.  It looks
to us as if the database backups are going to the same tape, and
don't roll over to a new tape until the last one is full.  My
questions are:

1) Am I understanding the process correctly, or is it writing
over the previous backup each time?

2) Is there any way to tell which backups are on which tapes?  The
'q volhist type=dbbackup' isn't good enough.  The only thing it
seems to tell you is the date of the first backup on the tape, not
all of them.

3) If you loose the database and have to restore it, how does ADSM
know which database backups are on which tapes?  The volume history
file only seems to record the first backup made to a tape, not
any subsequent ones. Unless...

4) Does anyone know of a problem where the volume history file is
not being updated properly?  I have a customer who lost their ADSM
database (disk failure), and went to restore it with "restore db
todate=today", and the volume history file only shows a database
backup from three days ago, none since, even though we thought
we were getting good backups.  And furthermore, after the restore
completed successfully, it doesn't seem to contain late data, but
three day old data.  Is it possible that it restored the first
backup on the tape, the one mentioned in the volume history file,
and didn't go on to see the later database backups because they
are later on the tape?

Thanks for any insight you can provide,

John Schneider

* John D. Schneider     * Email: jdschn AT ibm DOT net * Phone: 314-349-4556 *
* 275 Axminister        * Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are mine*
* Fenton, MO 63026      * and mine alone.  My company is off the hook.*