ADSM-L

Re: Multiple backup sessions for one client

1998-03-31 13:43:55
Subject: Re: Multiple backup sessions for one client
From: Jeff Connor <connorj AT NIMO DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 13:43:55 -0500
I just ran into a similar problem yesterday.  Our environment is similar to
yours, ADSM v3.1 on OS/390 V1 R2 with TCP/IP 3.2 and our tapes are magstars
in a STK silo.  Also, we write to an  interim disk pool then migrate to the
magstars.
I just started testing ADSM V3 on our test lpar and noticed that when my
disk pool reached 100% utilization the migration from disk to tape started.
My ADSM backup client session for an NT server went into media wait status
since all available tape drives where in use by migration processes.  Once
the session was in mediaw state additional sessions for the same client
began starting.  I began to cancel them as the number of sessions, all in
mediaw status, reached 15 or so.  Not sure how many would have started if I
hadn't. The one remaining session did start after a tape drive freed up.  I
would also be interested if anyone has a solution to this problem or if
they have encountered it when backing up NT clients.

Thanks
Jeff Connor
Niagara Mohawk Power Corp

BRIAN_NICK AT PHL DOT COM on 03/31/98 10:26:12 AM