ADSM-L

Re: AIX server is also a client

1998-03-28 19:06:33
Subject: Re: AIX server is also a client
From: "Frank M. Ramaekers Jr." <framaeke AT AUSTIN.CC.TX DOT US>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 1998 18:06:33 -0600
At 06:27 PM 3/27/98 -0700, you wrote:
>On Fri, 27 Mar 1998, Lynch, Rich wrote:
>
>> I believe it just uses the TCPIP stack, since its on the same host it would
>> be like pinging localhost, ie just pinging the interface, not going out to
>> the network.
>
>If you're using the AIX server and client, you can use COMMethod
>SHAREdmem, and bypass the TCP/IP stack altogether (you need to be at the
>latest PTF levels for the client and server).  See
>/usr/lpp/adsm/bin/README for the settings.  You need to modify the config
>files for both the client and server, and restart the server.
>
>The main catch is that the user running the client has to run as root for
>this to work.

Does this improve the performace of "server is also a client" situation
(above and beyond the TCP/IP 1500 situation)?
Frank M. Ramaekers Jr.  Austin Community College     Voice: (512)223-7619
Systems Programmer      5930 Middle Fiskville Rd.    Fax:   (512)483-7664
Information Services    Austin, Texas  78752-4390